Durable garage doors
Whether your garage is attached to the house in the back or the front, or maybe it is a stand-alone structure, the door is a part of your home’s appearance and curb appeal. You want it to be operational, to look good, and be long lasting. Not all that long ago, all garage doors were wood, then metal garage doors came out, aluminum, steel, etc.
Wood garage doors have a more classic look, but they don’t stand up to the climate, elements, and bikes or cars like a metal garage door does. Today, they make metal garage doors look like wood, so you get the best of both. Metal = stability. Wood = classic. You can get a metal garage door with glass windows too, in various shapes and sizes, to match your home’s architecture.
One thing that many preferred a wood garage door over a metal garage door was the ability to paint it when the house was painted. So, can metal garage doors be painted? A metal garage door can come in many colors today so that they match your home’s exterior, but yes, you can paint your metal garage door if you desire.
There are two pointers to note about painting a metal garage door:
- Never paint it while it is cold, wet, or too hot
- Use top quality exterior latex house paint
You need to paint your metal garage door at the optimum temperature so that the metal alloy settle. Otherwise, when the temperature causes the metal garage door to expand and shift, the paint won’t crack. Using a prime quality of paint will give you the best, long-lasting results. If you paint the metal garage door frame, be sure to give it plenty of time to dry with the door open so that the paint doesn’t dry the door shut.
Before you paint though, preparing metal garage door for painting should be completed first:
- Pressure wash both inside and outside the metal garage door
- Allow to air dry then lightly sand over the entire door with a sanding block to remove cobwebs, dirt, grime, and grit
- Rinse with power washer again and allow to air dry
- Lay an old blanket or drop cloth under the door for drips
- Tape around the trim and windows
- Paint one panel lengthwise and then the next panel
- Open the door upwards so the hinges separate before painting the ends
- While the door is up, paint in between each panel
Why are garage doors metal?
Shopping for anything of value can be a headache, and that includes a garage door. There are so many choices in materials and style, which one is the best one for you and your home? The garage has become more important in our lives the past few decades. The garage is as big a decision as the interior floor plans of the house, including if a metal garage door is important.
Here, we have listed the benefits of a metal garage door and why to most homeowners, why they choose a metal garage door over other materials for a garage door:
- A Better Value: Yes, a metal garage door is more expensive, but they have a longer lifespan than one made from natural or synthetic materials. The galvanized steel metal doors of today are rust resistant and rot resistant, an important feature in Colorado weather.
- Safe and Secure: A metal garage door is stronger than garage doors made from other materials. They can hold up to and resist being attacked by a would-be thief because there aren’t the usual weak spots that composite, fiberglass, or wooden garage doors do. They are also fire resistant, a plus for the homeowner’s insurance.
- Energy Efficient: A metal garage door is insulated in either a multi-layer or sandwich-type, allowing you to choose a higher R-Value of insulation, which is a significant benefit in Colorado winters!
- A Beautiful Addition: A metal garage door can be molded and stamped into a variety of attractive shapes today. You can choose a window panel and a wide choice of finishes and textures. A metal garage door can be made to look like wood.
- Minimal Maintenance: When a garage door fails, it will typically do it at an inconvenient time, unless it is a metal garage door. Because they are lightweight, they’re easier to raise a lower manually if needed and the don’t wear out their mechanical parts as fast.
Are wood or steel garage doors better?
There are two options that homeowners typically choose when buying a new garage door. Either a metal garage door or a wooden garage door. How do they decide which is better? The following are factors that are considered:
- The Look: Wooden garage doors are designed for beauty and elegance, come in a variety of colors, looks, and sizes and the improvement to the curb appeal is immediate. A garage door is semi-customize or completely customized, a metal garage door is mass produced and purchased pre-assembled.
- The Installation: A metal garage door is easier to install because it is lighter than a wooden garage door. Even with a wooden garage door, the upgrade of an automatic garage door opener is something to consider due to the weight.
- The Costs: A metal garage door is less expensive than a wooden garage door for two reasons. The materials and manufacturing and the installation is easier and faster. All of this makes for make the metal garage door is the less expensive of the two.
- The Maintenance: A wooden garage door will require more maintenance than a metal garage door, such as sanding, painting, or staining every few years. A wooden garage door will absorb moisture, which is an attraction for insects and mold. A metal garage door will have an overlay to protect the color should it be dented.
- The Energy Efficiency: Both types of garage doors, a metal garage door or a wooden garage door are available insulated. A wooden garage door has more quietening to it.
- Do steel garage doors rust?: With a fiberglass overlay or topcoat applied on a metal garage door can prevent it from rusting. The cheaper the metal, the more likely that a dent or ding can chip the paint, and rust will soon follow.
How long do steel garage doors last?
With proper care and maintenance, a metal garage door and a wooden garage door can last 20 years or longer. The mechanics and torsion springs get the most work and will give you 20,000 cycles.
Choose a garage door is a big decision, you want to make sure you get the one you can afford. It may be worth stretching the budget a bit to choose a better-made door. If you have plans for selling your home in the near future, the more expensive door will help your home sell faster and you’ll have a higher ROI. For your garage door installation in Aurora, CO, call 720-299-5604 today.